October 8, 2012

In Memoriam: Paul E. Green

Print Friendly

Paul E. Green, Emeritus Professor of Marketing at the Wharton School, passed away peacefully on Friday, September 21, 2012.

As the S.S. Kresge Professor of Marketing, Paul was not only one of the most distinguished and influential marketing scholars of our time, but also a wonderful colleague who provided perspective and balance at all times.   One of the major architects of modern marketing science and practice, he was known as the founder of conjoint analysis.   The marketing discipline’s familiarity with the utilization of Bayesian statistics, multidimensional scaling, clustering, and analysis of qualitative data are due in part to the pioneering work of Paul Green.

The most prolific of marketing scholars with 16 books and over 200 articles, Paul’s influence on the marketing discipline ranges far beyond his ground breaking inspired writings.  As a creative researcher, he stimulated the design and implementation of numerous innovative studies for the solution of real-world problems.  Paul was known as one of the most thorough and constructive reviewers of top academic publications in the field.  He helped mold a new generation of marketing researchers whose influence on marketing education, research, and the practical implementation of marketing concepts and tools will help shape the future of the marketing discipline for many years to come.

Paul received all of the major marketing awards, including the Parlin Award for Advancement of Science in Marketing, the AMA/Irwin Marketing Educator of the Year Award, The Outstanding Marketing Educator Award, and the Lifetime Achievement in Marketing Research Award.  He was also selected as one of the nine Legends of Marketing and Sage Publications will be publishing six volumes of his writings.

In 1996 the Journal of Marketing Research established the Paul E. Green Award for the best article in the Journal of Marketing Research that demonstrates the greatest potential to contribute significantly to the practice of marketing research.

Above all, Paul was a role model to many in the marketing discipline in terms of his values, dedication and focus on research.  He was one of the preeminent marketing scholars in the field for over four decades and was an inspirational colleague and teacher.

Paul is survived by his three children, Patty, Carol and Kenny, five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

Paul was a long time member of the University of Pennsylvania and Wharton family, having received an A.B. in Mathematics and Economics, and an A.M. and PhD, in Statistics.  Prior to joining the Marketing Department faculty in 1961, Paul held multiple positions in industry as a statistician and research analyst.

Upon Paul’s retirement in 2002 the Marketing Department at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania established the Paul E. Green Doctoral Fund in Marketing in honor of the contributions he made to the discipline, department and school.  We intend to continue Paul’s legacy by increasing the endowment in memory of the innovative research and professional collaboration that Paul brought to the Wharton Marketing Department and the Marketing field in general.  Future use of this fund will include an annual Paul E. Green event that brings leading academics and practitioners together in honor of the pioneering work that Paul contributed over the span of his career.

Contributions in Paul’s memory may be sent to Alison Matejczyk at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 344 Vance Hall, 3733 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.   Please make checks payable to the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania with “Green Fund” written in the memo field.

Please join us for a celebration of the life of Paul E. Green to be held on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm. , 8th Floor, Jon M. Huntsman Hall.   Your RSVP is requested.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
This entry was posted in Feature Stories and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

13 Responses to In Memoriam: Paul E. Green

1. Americus Reed II says:

Paul was an extraordinary person. This clip of Paul gives the viewer a brief glimpse into this wonderful human being:

Even if you had no clue about what part-worths are, I suspect meeting Paul would move you to invite him for a sit down at a local pub for engaging conversation over a beer.

Paul’s immense intellect was equally matched by his humility; by both the beauty of his soul and the kindness of his gentle demeanor.

The angels may have called Paul home, but let the sadness in our collective hearts be somewhat consoled by the permanence of the gift that is the memories of him that we take with us.

We miss you, Paul. With deep respect and admiration,

Americus Reed, II

2. Irv Gross says:

I first met Paul when I joined the Advertising Research Section in the Advertising Department at DuPont in 1961. He was working as an analyst in a statistical unit in another department of the Company. Mike Halbert was the mutual friend who got us together. He was just finishing his PhD at Penn and I was just starting my dissertation in OR at Case. We became friends. When he received an offer from Wroe Alderson to join the Marketing Department at Wharton, he asked me what I thought. I told him that he was the most academic person I had ever known and he should definitely take the offer. He did, of course. In 1967, I, too, joined the faculty at Wharton in Marketing and Management Science and we became colleagues again until I left to rejoin DuPont in 1974. Paul was a valued friend and colleague and his death leaves a great hole in the profession which will be difficult to fill.

3. Arun Maheshwari says:

The news of Professor Green’s passing away brought back a lot of memories, more than forty years old. I was one of his earliest doctoral students. Having arrived at Penn in 1967 as a doctoral student from India without a scholarship. I sought a part time job and was referred to Professor Green, who was very active as a principal researcher in computer based multidimensional scaling work at Marketing Science Institute. He immediately offered me a job at the Institute that started a relationship that lasted until 1973, when I finished my dissertation under his guidance and graduated with a PhD from Penn. I returned to India and after a few years migrated to the US but because I had moved from academia to business and from Marketing to Computer Science, I was unable to keep in touch with him, a regret that I shall have as he is gone now.
    I remember my first Christmas in the US in 1967 when most students in the dorm were gone and it was quite lonely. Professor Green invited some of the foreign students to his home for Christmas and was a wonderful host. Coming from India where there is a tremendous distance between teachers and students and teachers are to be revered, it was an experience to be drinking with one’s teacher — quite a cultural shock for a 22 year old from a backward state in India of the sixties. What I remember most about Professor Green is that he was an extremely kind and generous person. I think somewhere along the way, I got quite diffused and diluted in my studies and he kept me focused. I do not think I would have finished my dissertation without his encouragement and support. The work I did at Marketing Science Institute, to analyze some data for projects that Professor Green was working on, got written up as articles and I was very surprised that he was kind enough to put my name on four of those articles as a co-author. My contribution did not justify it and there was no expectation of any kind on my part.
    Many, besides his family and friends, will cherish his contribution to their lives for a long time. Scores of doctoral students and thousands of graduate students benefited from Professor Green’s personal touch. marketing science is much richer as a science due to his contributions.
    I look forward to participate in the celebration of the life of this wonderful teacher on 11th December.

4. Ron Frank says:

I’ve chosen to focus on Paul’s role in the development of the Wharton Marketing Department because I suspect that others will comment on his outstanding academic accomplishments reflected in his writings and in the many colleagues and PhD Candidates who benefited from working with him. While I join in their praise of Paul as a person and a scholar I stress the aforementioned changes because I know a bit more about them than most.
    In the fall of 1965 I became a member of the Wharton Marketing Department as an associate professor. There were no assistant professors. Shortly thereafter we were asked to take responsibility for recruiting. At that point in time there was a major generational discontinuity occurring in business education and marketing toward quantitative methods and Management Science.
    It was a privilege for me to have the opportunity to work with Paul during this period. That led to a decade of what in retrospect was immense change in the composition of the Marketing Department faculty. Some of the appointments made during that period included Len Lodish, Dave Reibstein, Tom Robertson, Dave Schmittlein and Jerry Wind. Paul never wavered in his commitment to develop the strongest possible community of scholars.
    While I’ve been away from Wharton almost 20 years nonetheless I am quite confident that Paul would be proud of the impact these individuals and their colleagues have had the discipline, the department and the school.

5. Friday, September 21, 2012 was an extremely sad day to me. That was when I received an e-mail from Jerry wind about Paul Green’s passing away.

Even today I vividly recall my first meeting with Paul; it was in January 1968 when I attended his first class in his doctoral research in marketing course along with two other students. We three conducted some innovative research during that course under his guidance.

I was probably his first doctoral student at Wharton School. Even during my doctoral student days, Dr. Green and I had worked on several research projects and published a lot of stuff together and continued for a number of years. Incidentally, it took me a while to address him as Paul. Paul treated me as a colleague (not as a student) ever since my doctoral days. Our friendship grew over the years.

Paul Green was a great mentor to me. For example, he took me along to CMU in Pittsburgh to present a paper and gave me a chance to present a major portion of our paper. Such a gesture helped me in establishing my independent credentials. That exposure led some CMU faculty to recommend me to a faculty position at Cornell University!

As an advisor, Paul was admirable. He read my thesis chapters almost overnight and offered suggestions for improvement. Now I try to emulate him in this regard in my work with my students and collaborators.

Paul was truly generous. He did not think twice about giving me his Mustang to drive to visit Ithaca a second time before accepting Cornell faculty position in January 1970; I still cannot believe it! I am sure he thought that my old car would not make it all the way and back! In a different context, he offered to share his office in case I could not get office space in the Department for my sabbatical at Wharton some years back.

My wife, Saroj and I visited Paul’s house for many parties. He was a great host.
    He was a fatherly figure to me! I will truly miss him, his guidance, and friendship.

Saroj and I look forward to the celebrations on the 11th December.

6. I am extremely saddened to hear about Professor Paul Green’s passing away. I had known him since 1971 when I was starting as a young assistant professor at the University of Rochester. I had invited him to give a talk at Rochester and I was pretty sure that he would be too busy to come. But he graciously accepted my invitation and gave a talk. Subsequently, we coined the term conjoint analysis (as distinct from the earlier term conjoint measurement) in a 1978 Journal of Consumer Research review article. He accepted my invitation to visit the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management in Brussels where we taught a joint course on multidimensional scaling and conjoint analysis to European academics and doctoral students, and followed it with a research conference on the same topics. It was during those days that I got to know him well.

Paul was a wonderful human being. He was generous with his time as the earlier examples illustrate. He was also remarkably quick. While we were revising drafts of our two joint papers, he would often return his comments in a day or two whereas I would take one or two months.

The marketing area has lost a giant in the field of market research. He single-handedly started several areas in marketing such as Bayesian statistics, multidimensional scaling, and conjoint analysis. Thank you, Paul for your contributions, and for your friendship. I will treasure your memory.

V. “Seenu” Srinivasan
    Adams Distinguished Professor of Management, Emeritus
    Graduate School of Business, Stanford University

7. Michel Wedel says:

I am very privileged to have known Paul Green. Paul was one of the most prominent, productive and influential people our field will ever know. His accomplishments speak for themselves. During the 25 years I have known him, he has been an tremendous inspiration to me. Not only because of his work, but also because of his warm personality, and his kindness and modesty. He has had an enormous influence on my work and career. First of all because of his extensive work on Conjoint Analysis, Multidimensional Scaling, and Bayesian applications, which has been the foundation of much of my own research in these areas. But in addition, on numerous occasions Paul has helped me immensely with his personal enthusiasm, encouragements and support. I will miss him. It is a big comfort to know that so many people share this feeling, and a celebration of his life and work will be a great way for all of us to cope with the loss.

Michel Wedel
    Pepsico Professor of Consumer Science
    Robert H. SMith School of Business
    University of Maryland

8. Tony Adams says:

I first met Paul when I was VP Marketing Research and Planning at Campbell’s Soup. He and Jerry would come over to Camden and dazzle and delight us with the wonders of Conjoint/Trade off analysis. Later, when I joined the part time faculty at Wharton, Paul was one of the most helpful greeters of a teaching “rookie!” He took me a little under his wing – gave me access to the EZ Pass case – even invited my undergrad New Products class to join his MBA class for a session on conjoint – rare to mix these groups!. Paul was a great piano player, but allowed me to join him at the keyboard for a few of the Dept Christmas parties. When I was an undergrad at Wharton, Wroe Alderson was the guru of the Marketing Dept. Paul has certainly been one of the Marketing greats at Wharton over the past 40 years!! I miss him

9. Pinar Yildirim says:

The day Paul Green passed away, many of my colleagues (regardless of their seniority in the department) had stories of Paul Green to share. It was quite a touching moment. Not only did these stories speak to Paul’s legacy as a scholar, but also his legacy as a friend and mentor. Green’s personality and dedication to his work set an example for many at Wharton, and his contribution to marketing will be remembered for years to come.

Pinar Yildirim
    Assistant Professor of Marketing
    Wharton School of Business

10. Patti Williams says:

No matter what time I arrived at the office, I never arrived earlier than Paul. His passion and enthusiasm for his work here at Wharton was exceptional and continued into his time as an emeritus scholar. His scholarship, kindness and gentleness are a lasting legacy to our department.

11. Ken Thomas says:

I had the pleasure and honor of working with Paul as a Finance major, since Marketing was my Related Field while doing my Ph.D. in Business and Applied Economics in the early 70s. I remember asking him why I was getting so much pushback from my Finance Department advisors for selecting Marketing as my Related Field, since almost all Finance majors chose Economics. His answer was classic “They don’t really understand Marketing!” I later learned that I was the first Ph.D. student in Finance to select Marketing as my Related Field, and I am so glad and grateful to Paul that I made that important choice.

12. John Hauser says:

I first met Paul in when he was speaking in Cambridge. I was a graduate student at the time and was honored, and a bit intimidated to meet Paul. Perhaps with good reason. Anyone who knows Paul cannot help to admire his intellect. When you spoke with Paul you have to know your stuff – and then some. But Paul was also an amazing person who put everyone at ease. He was always gracious and almost childlike in his enthusiasm for new ideas. That dinner in 1974 remains a fond memory that I will always cherish.

I interacted with Paul many times after that. Another memory stands out. I recall attending a conference in Nashville organized by Allan Shocker. The reception was in a large hall at Vanderbilt University. The hall was filled with music and I couldn’t help wondering how Allan was able to afford such music talent. Image my shock when I walked over to the piano and discovered the source of the music – Paul. I later discovered his passion for skiing and his passion for life. Paul was indeed an inspiration.

I thought of reciting the many ways in which Paul changed the field of marketing, but I’ll leave that to the many speakers who will no doubt do a better job than I. Instead, I would like to say simply that Paul led by example. He tackled every new problem with intensity and innovation. His work was seminal and many of us would not be here but for Paul. We owe him a debt of gratitude as we celebrate his life.

Then, as now, we were trying to envision the future of marketing science as a field. I asked Paul where he thought the field was going and where he thought the field should go. His answer will always remain with me. He saw himself as an engineer. He was willing to embrace any method or any philosophy that solved the problem. It was the challenge that excited him.

He will be remembered dearly by all of us. He will live on in the work we do. He was truly a great person.

13. Scott Armstrong says:

I just returned from the memorial service. It was a moving experience about a wonderful man, Paul Green.

As I listened, I was reminded of a story about Joe DiMaggio. A speaker was explaining what the Yankee clubhouse was like. It was filled with much activity and highly colorful language. All that changed when Joe came into the room. There was a tone of hushed respect. The players became gentlemen, and some said better players because of Joe. And it occurred to me that I knew such a man, Paul Green. I had never before met someone who was held in such high esteem that he could transform a group with almost no apparent effort.

Paul had high ideals and offered them in a quiet and gentle manner. In meetings, we would discuss an issue then turn to Paul. For example, one of the questions that came up every year was how to fill a slot for a certain type of faculty member, such as a quantitative person, or someone with expertise in game theory. Paul would calmly explain his belief, which, as I heard it, was to “Pick the best researcher. Nothing else matters.” In all matters, Paul’s advice would be followed. Rightfully so, in my opinion.
    I met Paul when MIT sent me to the first AMA Doctoral Consortium. He was only a few years older than me, but everyone regarded him as “the man” in marketing. So I chatted with this charming and approachable man and set my sights on Wharton. I love how my career has turned out so far. My career aim now is to live long enough to get through my to-do list. So thanks Paul!

When we came to Philadelphia to look for a house in the Spring of 1968, Kay and I spent many frustrating days and found nothing. Dejected, we decided to stay with my parents in Pittsburgh for a few weeks. But first I went to tell Paul about my plan. He said, “Tom Schutte (a professor in our department) is selling his house, why don’t you look at it?” We drove immediately to the house on Harper Avenue in Drexel Hill. Upon seeing it, I said “This is it, Kay!” We love that first house. In fact, we are still there. So thanks, Paul!

Paul and I had different interests in our research. But we discussed our common interests in movies, travel, educational standards, scientific standards, and politics. Interestingly, it is difficult for me to think of anything on which we disagreed. I enjoyed being with him.