PHILADELPHIA–The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania announces the launch of Wharton Digital Press (http://wdp.wharton.upenn.edu), an innovative global all-digital publishing initiative that will publish books electronically, including ebooks, enhanced ebooks, mobile apps, and print books available through print-on-demand technology. In collaboration with Knowledge@Wharton, the School’s online journal of research and business analysis, Wharton Digital Press will take advantage of the Wharton School’s global presence to communicate relevant business knowledge from experts throughout the world to readers wherever and whenever they need it. Knowledge@Wharton reaches 1.7 million subscribers in 189 countries in five languages.
“Wharton Digital Press and its authors will be true partners in a very innovative global digital publishing venture,” said Stephen J. Kobrin, Publisher and Executive Director of the new press and Wharton’s William H. Wurster Professor of Multinational Management. “Together with our readers we will establish a community to share bold and insightful thinking and help managers meet the challenges of today and tomorrow.”
“Wharton Digital Press exemplifies the School’s commitment to innovation, thought leadership, and the creation and dissemination of cutting-edge knowledge to a global audience,” said Thomas S. Robertson, Dean of the Wharton School. “By taking full advantage of digital technologies we will be able to deliver the latest information on important topics to readers wherever, however, and whenever they want it.”
Wharton Digital Press has partnered with Constellation, a service of The Perseus Books Group, which offers complete digital services for independent publishers, including ebook distribution and sales, digital print-on-demand, as well as a suite of digital marketing tools. Through Constellation’s extensive global partnerships, Wharton Digital Press aims to become the world’s leading all-digital business publishing imprint.
“It is a privilege to be partnering with Wharton Digital Press,” said David Steinberger, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Perseus Books Group. “This is a new kind of publishing program custom-designed for the opportunities of the digital age.”
Wharton Digital Press has assembled an exceptional Advisory Board which will provide guidance to the program. Inaugural members include:
- Jason Epstein, Chairman, On Demand Books
- Peter Hildick-Smith, President, Codex Group
- Paul Saffo, Managing Director, Foresight, Discern Analytics
- Tom Stewart, Chief Marketing and Knowledge Officer, Booz and Company
- Susan Weinberg, Publisher, PublicAffairsIn addition to the advisory board, 15 senior Wharton faculty members sit on the Wharton Digital Press editorial board with the responsibility of identifying topics for books and ensuring the consistent quality of the imprint’s portfolio.Working with both boards is the Executive Editor for Wharton Digital Press, Shannon Berning, former director of product development at Kaplan Publishing. Berning will spearhead acquisitions and manuscript development, working closely with authors from the first spark of an idea to delivery of the book to the reader.
Wharton Digital Press will publish books both by Wharton faculty and by business experts from outside Wharton. Beginning with its first books in June 2011, Wharton Digital Press will publish in the areas of management, strategy, innovation, entrepreneurship, finance and investment, leadership, marketing, operations, human resources, social responsibility, and more. Books will range from as few as 10,000 words to mid-length books of 20,000-30,000 words to books of 40,000 words or longer. The first books include:
- A “Checklist Manifesto” for leaders, by globally renowned leadership expert Michael Useem, author of The Leadership Moment, Investor Capitalism, and The Go Point and Director of the Center for Leadership and Change Management at the Wharton School, drawing on a range of company examples, battlefield experiences, and the triumphant rescue of the trapped Chilean miners in 2010. Running 10,000 words, there will be two editions: an ebook and an enhanced ebook with video interviews.
- A surprising look at customer centricity that will change how you run your business, by renowned behavioral data expert Peter Fader, Co-Director of Wharton Customer Analytics Initiative. Available in ebook and digital print, the book will run 25,000 words.
- A winning strategy that will empower companies to compete globally, by leading globalization expert Mauro F. Guillén, Director of the Joseph H. Lauder Institute at the Wharton School. Available in ebook and digital print, it will run 25,000 words.For more information on how to submit a proposal, please visit: http://wdp.wharton.upenn.edu.About the Wharton School and Wharton Digital Press
The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania— founded in 1881 as the first collegiate business school — is recognized globally for intellectual leadership and ongoing innovation across every major discipline of business education. The most comprehensive source of business knowledge in the world, Wharton bridges research and practice through its broad engagement with the global business community. The School has more than 4,800 undergraduate, MBA, executive MBA, and doctoral students; more than 9,000 annual participants in executive education programs; and an alumni network of 86,000 graduates.
Wharton Digital Press brings together communities of readers and authors committed to identifying and solving the critical problems business managers face today. Leveraging a wide range of cutting-edge digital technologies, Wharton Digital Press helps inspire authors to develop bold, insightful messages, and communicate in creative ways with their audiences.
Managers and policy makers need new sources of innovative and practical knowledge that will enable them to deal with the problems of the present and the challenges of the future. Wharton Digital Press takes advantage of the Wharton School’s global presence to disseminate relevant business knowledge from the world’s leading experts to readers wherever and whenever they need it.
About the Perseus Books Group
The Perseus Books Group is an independent company committed to enabling independent publishers to reach their potential whether those publishers are Perseus-owned, joint ventures or owned by third parties. Member publishing programs include Avalon Travel, Basic Books, Basic Civitas, Da Capo Press, Da Capo Lifelong Books, Running Press, Seal Press, Vanguard Press and Westview Press, as well as partnerships with The Daily Beast, The Nation Institute, PublicAffairs and The Weinstein Company. Through Consortium, Perseus Distribution and Publishers Group West, the Perseus Books Group is the leading provider of sales, marketing, distribution, and digital services to independent publishers. For more information, visit our website at www.perseusbooks.com.
Launched in 2008, and backed by a multimillion dollar digital asset management system; Constellation is the only complete digital service for independent publishers offering digital asset management, digital marketing tools, digital printing, eBook sales and distribution, and online sampling. Its flexible participation format allows publishers to tailor-make their digital strategies. For more information, visit http://www.constellationdigital.com/.